Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Why I abandoned my baby in the bush – Mother confesses

Why I abandoned my baby in the bush – Mother confesses:
by Rachel Ogbu
Photo: clemsdebes
Photo: clemsdebes
The mother of an abandoned child left in the bush in Abuja has turned up to claim her daughter back while begging for financial assistance.
According to reports, Favour Abdulazeez told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja that she abandoned her baby because she was jobless, divorced and had no means of fostering the child.
She narrated how she placed the baby in a carton and left in the bush but had maintained a safe distance so she could know who picked the baby up.
“All along, I was monitoring the baby’s situation, I know those who picked the baby and took her to the police.
“I was listening to their conversation from my hideout, I even followed them from a distance when they were taking my baby away,” she said.
“I told the police that I would take care of my baby if only the government would assist me with a job or a trade no matter how small,’ she said.
The Premium Times report:
Inspector  Yahaya Musa, the Police Area Command in Gwagwalada, FCT, had on Friday declined comments on the matter, saying that he was not authorised to speak to newsmen on the matter.
Mr. Musa instead referred NAN reporter to the social welfare unit of the Gwagwalada Area Council for further enquiries.
Hanatu Turu, Head of the Social Welfare Department of Gwagwalada Area Council, said that she was aware of the incident.
She said the police should be allowed to conclude their investigations.
Ms. Abdulazeez was said to have been delivered of the baby girl on June 13 and secretly put her in a carton and took her to a nearby bush behind her house at night, where she abandoned the baby.
A resident in the area, who pleaded anonymity, told NAN that Abdulazeez is her neighour, adding that it was the cry of the baby that drew the attention of passers-by who later took the baby to the police outpost.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...