The pop scene is very competitive with a new act coming out almost every three months.
The influx of young adults and teenagers has been dubbed as the new school wave led by the likes of Wizkid and Davido. In this special NET feature, we list the top 5 New School Artists without a debut album…
1. Burna Boy- This native of Port-Harcourt is a sound rebel. After bubbling underground in 2011, Burna Boy swam to the mainstream with his highly infectious single ‘Like To Party’. Falling on stage at the Headies and being a part of the Hennessey Artistry gig ensured that he remained relevant. His follow up singles ‘Tonight; and ‘Run My Race’ haven’t done badly either. 2013 is a promising year for him if he can keep up with the momentum
2. Ajebutter 22- The rapper/singer hybrid initially started as one-half of the pop group, Soyinka’s Afro. Still a part of the group he scored a solo hit with ‘Senrere’ in 2012. Towards the end of the year he released his second single ‘Omo Pastor’ featuring BOJ. Ajebutter 22 scored another hit and his name started popping up in the new school category. Waxing strong, he is scheduled to drop a mixtape sometime this year.
3. L.O.S- Made up of four young guys- Tomi Thomas, Bad Bridge, Bad Bridge and Yung Kwft, L.O.S has quietly made a name for itself with its new school pop sound and viral videos. Initially not much attention was paid to the group until they dropped ‘Bad Guy P’. The success of that ultra cool single enabled them sell their brand and tour with Hennessey Artistry, Spinlet and Samsung. The remix to ‘Bad Guy P’ featuring Banky W and Sarkodie isn’t bad either. 2013 will be a year of consolidation for the group
4. DRB Lasgidi- DRB Lasgidi is similar to L.O.S and as a matter of fact most people mix the groups up. DRB Lasgidi is made up of 2 rappers- Fresh L and Tee Zee plus a singer BOJ. They haven’t had a breakout hit but with a steady influx of materials online they are quickly gathering a cult like status among their target audience. Their newest single ‘Selecta’ featuring Shank should see them break into the mainstream very soon.
5. Dammy Krane- The energy performer broke into the charts with his fuji-pop mash up ‘My Dear’. His infective charm has helped open up doors for him. Signing to 2Face’s record label HyperTek has also helped his career. Dammy Krane has a knack for dropping sweet hooks. His follow up single ‘Ligali’ featuring Pasuma Wonder has started climbing the charts. Having been the Rookie of the Year at Headies 2013 we should expect more from this young pop star once touted as the next Wizkid